Monday, February 2, 2009
"Cask of Amontillado" By Edgar Allan Poe
This is the knid of story I enjoy. A tale of betrayal, trickery, and ultimately anothers pain. As sadistic as that sounds I am still a completely normal person. This story is filled with verbal and dramatic irony in every page. Some examples are the victims name, Fortunato meaning somewhere along the lines of "good luck" (I can't remember the exact translation). Another is in one of the closing conversations when Fortunato said "let us be gone" he meant they should both leave whereas when the narrator spoke he meant let him leave and fortunato ascend to the heavens. Another moment was when the narrator said that Fortunato was "luckily met", Fortunato believed this to be a greeting where the narrator knew it to me more of good chance for the plan to succeed. I like this story, I've read it before and will probably read it again at some point and I hope to read more like it soon for this class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment