Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ambrose Bierce's "Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge"

The basic outline of the plot in "Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge" is the execution of a man who gave away information to a federal scout. This man miraculously escapes and makes it away from the guards by using what seemed like "super-human strength" to break to ropes and get his hands free. As he is about to find his wife and flash ofwhite light takes him to his awaiting death. Now the way this story is arranged it tricks the reader into believing the man has escaped until the end. The 1st time I read this story I was shocked to find that he was actually dead. When I read it again I saw some good proof that it was a vision. For example, when the "grey-eyed marksman" missed his shot, and when he was shot in the neck and did not become badly wounded. The arrangement of the vison sequence into the story itself was incredible. On a side note, they made a "twilight zone" episode of this story that was awesome and everyone should see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment